Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Prize draw!

We're running a prize draw here on the discussion boards! Take a look here to get involved.
2 of 3 < >

Post of The Month (August)

Meggles is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"my recent post and a comment from another user has made me realise that self care is so important.

I wanted to start a thread in the Health and Wellbeing section of the boards about self care.

Self care is provided by you, for you

I know a lot of us are struggling at the moment with different aspects of our own lives, and sometimes we get so lost in these we forget to take time for ourselves. This tread is, a Reminder to you to take time out for yourself during the difficult times.

down in the comments I would really love for people to share ideas and tips about self- care. to remind ourselves and others in the community.

My way of self care when i recognise ( or someone recognises i have neglected myself) is:

Take a walk and admire whats around me ( take as long as needed)
treat myself to a bath with a bathbomb and bubbles ( bubbles are important)
make a hot drink and just sit down with a film.

Please feel free to share your ideas!

The Mix have a guide to self-care which you can find here."
(Click for full post )
3 of 3 < >

Get involved

Fancy hosting one of our General Chats, or getting involved with the community in another way? Let us know here.
See more
See less

Manchester Attack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manchester Attack

    Originally posted by Aidan View Post
    Just a little something I wanted to say about the attack on Manchester.

    This was not an attack by any race or religion. This was an attack on humanity by monsters. We will not give in to hate. We won't give them what they want. We're stronger than them.

    There is no bad religion, just bad people.

    Some of those killed were children. That's barbaric. Innocent children who've done nothing to anybody.

    I'm thankful for the lives of everyone who has survived.
    I hope all of those injured, for their families' sake too, a swift recovery, and I hope they can all make it. They're so brave.
    I'm so sorry to everyone with family or friends who lost their lives. It isn't fair. May they rest in peace.
    I hope those who are missing are still alive, ans thst they are reunited with their families quickly.

    Please, don't be insulted because I'm trying to carry on like nothing has happened. I'm just trying to show these monsters can't win.

    Feel free to post your own messages.
    I'm afraid the evidence is that this certainly was a religiously motivated attack from religious extremists.
    This is not to say I have a prejudice against any particular religion or race, it's simply a fact, and to deny that fact won't help us combat future attacks of this type.
    Last edited by Skive; 23-05-2017, 10:58 AM.
    Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Skive View Post
    I'm afraid the evidence is that this certainly was a religiously motivated attack from religious extremists.
    This is not to say I'm have a prejudice against any particular religion or race, it's simply a fact, and to deny that fact won't help us combat future attacks of this type.
    'Extremist' and 'religious' shouldn't be used together. There's nothing in any religion that warrants extremism. We can't target or blame anything or anyone other than the terrorists themselves, or else we've let them win.
    "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"- Hamlet

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aidan View Post

      'Extremist' and 'religious' shouldn't be used together. There's nothing in any religion that warrants extremism. We can't target or blame anything or anyone other than the terrorists themselves, or else we've let them win.

      Sorry but that's just twaddle. There's plenty of content in the texts of all three Abrahamic religions that promote concepts that by modern standards could and should be considered extreme. Murder, rape, slavery, sexism, homophobia etc
      Somebody who follows either the Bible, Talmud, Koran to the letter would certainly be considered extreme, but you could hardly say they weren't religious - as the centre of these religions revolves around those texts.

      Time to be honest. Religion does produce some absolute evil fucking nut jobs.
      Last edited by Skive; 23-05-2017, 11:12 AM.
      Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Skive View Post


        Sorry but that's just twaddle. There's plenty of content in the texts of all three Abrahamic religions that promote concepts that by modern standards could and should be considered extreme. Murder, rape, slavery, sexism, homophobia etc
        Somebody who follows either the Bible, Talmud, Koran to the letter would certainly be considered extreme, but you could hardly say they weren't religious - as the centre of these religions revolves around those texts.

        Time to be honest. Religion does produce some absolute evil fucking nut jobs.
        This is a thread to pay our respects and condolences to those killed, and to be unified against the bad people in this world.

        Terrorists spread hate. You're no terrorist, but you're doing exactly what they want you to do. Be strong and stand against them, not with them.
        "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"- Hamlet

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aidan View Post
          This is a thread to pay our respects and condolences to those killed, and to be unified against the bad people in this world.
          Sorry I thought you were using to to assert that this wasn't religiously motivated? I just pointed out that it was.

          The attack today is horrific, and I do certainly feel for those affected, but I won't go as far as posting message of support for people who won't read them. What I would say to those that may feel fearful following this attack - try not to be. The risk of being caught up in a terrorist incident is still extremely low, and certainly much lower than previous decades
          Last edited by Skive; 23-05-2017, 12:00 PM.
          Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

          Comment


          • #6
            I have very very little knowledge of any religion and the reason for this. So i cant say much . But I would like to think that religion doesn't stop you seeing what is morally right and that there are people in the same religion who think it's just as disgusting as we do & cant generalise.
            The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you are not going to stay where you are

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shaunie View Post
              I have very very little knowledge of any religion and the reason for this. So i cant say much . But I would like to think that religion doesn't stop you seeing what is morally right and that there are people in the same religion who think it's just as disgusting as we do & cant generalise.

              Unfortunately religion and what is moral are often non compatible. I'm not attacking people of faith in general, I believe in freedom of thought, and as I've previously stated I'm not prejudiced against any religion in particular, but I have the up most contempt for those that let religious doctrine and works of fiction from antiquity be their compass for what is moral and what isn't.

              It's an inescapable fact many terror attacks are religiously motivated, as is most conflict the world over. Pretending that religion has nothing to do with these attackers, these acts, and these conflicts is just absurd. You won't stop these attacks by blaming all Muslims for the actions of a few, but neither will you stop them by pretending Islam has nothing to do with this.
              Last edited by Skive; 23-05-2017, 12:39 PM.
              Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

              Comment


              • #8
                Islam, infact all religions, are modern and have moved on from the dark ages to adopt moral views. Christians don't stone homosexuals. Homophobics stone homosexuals. Muslims don't terrorize people. Terrorists terrorize people.

                There will always be good and bad people. Unfortunately, some bad people hide under the umbrella of a religion to make the world hate that religion. 92% of those killed by ISIS are muslims, for example. If ISIS is Islamic, they wouldn't be killing muslims at all. End of story. ISIS are not Islamic, ISIS are terrorists.
                "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"- Hamlet

                Comment


                • #9
                  Manchester Arndale was evacuated, one man arrested. Controlled bombing in Fallowfield near the hospitals...
                  As said by Waynester Pickle - "Hann's Law, which states washing up must be done before 8:30" 22/12/14

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                    Islam, infact all religions, are modern and have moved on from the dark ages to adopt moral views. Christians don't stone homosexuals. Homophobics stone homosexuals. Muslims don't terrorize people. Terrorists terrorize people.
                    Don't be so naive. The fact is that many followers of these religions still look to their thousand year old texts as a guide to morality. Zionists still justify the theft of land from the Palestinians by pointing to the Old Testament and to the Talmud. Wahhabism is Saudi Arabia's dominant faith. It is an austere form of Islam that insists on a literal interpretation of the Koran. Strict Wahhabis believe that all those who don't practice their form of Islam are heathens and enemies. Over half of Americans believe that the Bible is the literal word of God, without error.

                    Whabbis are Muslims. Zionists can still still Jews, the IRA are still Christians.

                    Many followers of these religions don't take their religious texts literally, however many still do, pretending that this is not the case is ridiculous.

                    Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                    There will always be good and bad people. Unfortunately, some bad people hide under the umbrella of a religion to make the world hate that religion.
                    No they don't. Many people believe that their own version of the word of God is the only word of God and they have a duty to spread it - an idea promoted by the texts of all three religions.

                    Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                    92% of those killed by ISIS are muslims, for example. If ISIS is Islamic, they wouldn't be killing muslims at all. End of story. ISIS are not Islamic, ISIS are terrorists.
                    fyi adding 'end of the story', 'fact' or 'period' adds no actually validity to what your statements.
                    Followers of many religions fight among themselves over their interpretation of 'Gods word'. It doesn't mean they aren't followers of that religion. Catholics and protestants, Sunni and Shiite. They fight among themselves for exactly the same reasons they fight against other religions.

                    You appear to be suggesting that terrorists cannot be religious, which is absurd. Daesh are Islamic, they are also terrorists. The two are not mutually exclusive.
                    Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      religion has nothing to do with this. yes ok terrorists hide under a religion, but have friends who are Muslim and none of them would ever dream of causing harm to others. infact they preach for peace. I see posts on facebook saying they are ashamed to be part of a religion that is being targeted with such hate

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To be honest, as an atheist, I just think it's sad that people blow up other people over who has the best imaginary friend.

                        Religion is not the issue. People are the issue. Bad people will exploit religion and its outdated texts for their evil purposes. Good people will use religion to express their goodwill and guide them morally. All because religion is subjective. Nothing is fact; everyone can interpret something completely different from the same texts and teachings. Luckily there are many, many more good people than bad people.

                        You call me na´ve, yet I am not the one giving in to exactly what the terrorists want- division, hate and ignorance.
                        Last edited by Aidan; 23-05-2017, 03:55 PM.
                        "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"- Hamlet

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                          To be honest, as an atheist, I just think it's sad that people blow up other people over who has the best imaginary friend.
                          best thing ive heard all day.


                          tbh my thoughts arent about the religion and the bad people. it with those affected.. A lot of these children and young people were out to have the time of their lives. little did they know there world was about to be turned upside down by one selfish person

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think I read somewhere that the youngest killed was only 8 to 10. There's no words for that. And think of her poor family. And all of those who might have survived, just to die painfully of the wounds later. I can't imagine what it's like to be one of those waiting on news of whether someone I love is alive or not.
                            Last edited by Aidan; 23-05-2017, 04:27 PM.
                            "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"- Hamlet

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                              I think I read somewhere that the youngest killed was only 8 to 10. There's no words for that. And think of her poor family. And all of those who might have survived, just to die painfully of the wounds later. I can't imagine what it's like to be one of those waiting on news of whether someone I love is alive or not.

                              yep, the youngest was an 8 year old. many of those injured were under the age of 16

                              Comment

                              Hide this page

                              Local Advice Finder

                              Find local services

                              The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

                              Working...
                              X