Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Prize draw!

We're running a prize draw here on the discussion boards! Take a look here to get involved.
2 of 3 < >

Post of The Month (August)

Meggles is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"my recent post and a comment from another user has made me realise that self care is so important.

I wanted to start a thread in the Health and Wellbeing section of the boards about self care.

Self care is provided by you, for you

I know a lot of us are struggling at the moment with different aspects of our own lives, and sometimes we get so lost in these we forget to take time for ourselves. This tread is, a Reminder to you to take time out for yourself during the difficult times.

down in the comments I would really love for people to share ideas and tips about self- care. to remind ourselves and others in the community.

My way of self care when i recognise ( or someone recognises i have neglected myself) is:

Take a walk and admire whats around me ( take as long as needed)
treat myself to a bath with a bathbomb and bubbles ( bubbles are important)
make a hot drink and just sit down with a film.

Please feel free to share your ideas!

The Mix have a guide to self-care which you can find here."
(Click for full post )
3 of 3 < >

Get involved

Fancy hosting one of our General Chats, or getting involved with the community in another way? Let us know here.
See more
See less

Do you need an ambulance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that far off, well certainly on my notes in the other hospital, and I was only 15 on that occasion! The fools left me with my notes, it wasn't like I was going to sit them on my lap and not look at them now was I?

Nurse came over and saw me, got all flustered and took them away pronto.

I still maintain that I should have gone home and come back as an elective on Monday, but apparently the lists that week were full so I would have gone on the emergency list on the Monday instead. I did slightly pity the surgeon I laid into (I was hungry and scared, I accept little responsibilty for what I said) because I was exactly the same place on the list as he had said I would be, but the previous 2 didn't quite go to plan.

They were doing their utmost to get mine done asap so I had the best chance of getting back to uni.
    Growls

Comment

Originally posted by Man Of Kent
      It won't be that obvious, you have access to your notes now
      Although there is the other angle, ' it won't be that obvious, it'll be in a medics handwriting'
      but as my mum's a dentist I learnt to read that a long time ago!
      Growls

Comment

... anything which you cannot read, or is abbreviated, must be explained.

Takes all the fun out of writing in notes these days

Comment

Assuming I'd requested to see them, which I hadn't, I was just be an 'obnoxious' nosey teenager, not to mention probably 'obstreperous' (sp) too. The person who wrote that bit of my notes must have been into long words!
          Growls

Comment

To be fair not all uses of ambulance are always so defensible

One of our more regular jobs is to the Newham Mental Health Unit (MHU). It is one of the more bizarre side effects of the way that the NHS is structured in that while the MHU shares a physical site with Newham hospital, they are completely different trusts.

As each trust has it's own portering staff, if a patient needs to be moved from the MHU to A&E... they call an ambulance.

So we get calls to patients who need to be moved a grand total of 400 yards down the road. I've worked in hospitals where you would need to wheel patients on trollies for longer distances just to get them to the wards. Unfortunately neither Trust will take responsibility for wheeling patients between the two buildings.

It doesn't help that I'm not enamoured of the medical care of people in the MHU...

Sometimes we will be called for something as simple as a chest infection, or that the patient needs blood tests or an x-ray. Sometimes you will go to something that sounds 'genuine', but which ends up being something simple.

Take for example the last time I went there. The patient was a young girl and her diagnosis was 'Pulmonary Embolism', now this is a serious and life-threatening illness, it is a clot on the lungs which causes severe difficulty in breathing and shock.

This patient however had none of the risk factors or symptoms for this. She was shaking like a person with Parkinsons disease but her vital signs were all normal. Without turning this post into a list of symptoms found and not found she had nothing that suggested an embolism. She had also been in this state for a couple of days.

It looked to me like a toxic amount of one of her anti-psychotics.

Oh well, 400 yards later and she was safely in A&E where they quickly ruled out an embolism and sent her back to the MHU with one of the private contract ambulances. I'd be interested to see how much that trip cost the hospital.

The cause of her illness?

A higher than normal level of anti-psychotic in her blood.
            Taken from a recent http://randomreality.blogware.com/bl...chives/2006/11

(which to be fair shows that 99.9% of ambulance work is pretty efficient and much of that which isn't is due to the great British public, rather than the NHS
            She sang for mercy, for the living and the dead alike, for Bran and Rickon and Robb, for her sister Arya and her bastard brother Jon Snow, away off on the Wall. She sang for her mother and her father, for her grandfather Lord Hoster and her uncle Edmure Tully, for her friend Jeyne Poole, for old drunken King Robert, for Septa Mordane and Ser Dontos and Jory Casseland Maester Luwin, for all the brave knights and soldiers who would die today, and for thechildren and the wives who would mourn them

Comment

Don't you just love some managers

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
              X