Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Christmas Quiz Wed 7-8pm

On Wednesday 13th December from 7-8pm we'll be hosting a Christmas Quiz live in The Mix chat room with loads of great prizes

More info about the quiz and the prizes up for grabs here.

We're looking for people to write and host rounds. If you're interested, make sure to send us a PM or comment on the thread linked above.
2 of 3 < >

Post of The Month

Esme17 is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey. Hope you are doing okay?

I completely understand what you mean about feeling low mainly at night. like you said, It is probably because you have nothing else you need to be doing then and so have more time to think. Is there anything you could do that makes you feel slightly happier during this time (watch a film, read etc..)?

Do you know what is making you feel this way? I know you mentioned losing your nan which must have been really hard for you and Iím very sorry to hear that!

Iím not too sure what would be best for you to do in the situation but i would say it would be best to speak to someone like your gp because they could tell you for sure if it does need looking into more and even if it didnít, it would put your mind at rest a bit? I know how hard it can be seeing someone though so just make sure you do what feels right for you.

Remember you can also always come to the board to get support and to chats as well.

Let us know how things go? Iím sorry if this didnít help at all, I think I rambled a bit but I tried...

Esme x"
(Click for full post )
3 of 3 < >

Support Circles on Sundays

We're going to be running support circles once a month on a Sunday! At the moment they run on Tuesdays, but for one of those Tuesdays, each month they will be running on a Sunday instead.

This next Sunday support circle will be on the 17th of December. If you'd like to come along, feel free to sign-up closer to the time (when we post the thread for it).
See more
See less

Traveling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling

Hey everyone!!

In January I am going traveling to Thailand and Bali for 2 months. I am going solo (very scared) and meeting people out there in a tour group kind of thing.
    It will be my first time abroad ever (Apart from France for a week in July which was my first time out the Uk). It is also my first time on a plane and I really donít know what I am doing or what to expect.

I am super excited to be going away but very nervous about traveling at the same time.
    My dad was meant to drive me to the airport but now he needs an operation and I have a feeling that it will be around the time I am leaving so I may also be needing to get myself to London from Cornwall too which is adding extra stress to this!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about traveling that they would be able to share to help me?

Esme x
    Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations

Hey Esme
    I remember my first time on a plane, I was terrified, but once i got there is wasn't that bad, they basically tell you everything you need to know. If you are unsure of something, just ask

something my colleague said to me a few weeks ago when i was worried about traveling.. 'take some cosy socks and a squishy pillow and a Nintendo ds' so I don't have a Nintendo but downloaded some games on my phone to keep me distracted, also took my 'comfort blanket' (yes I'm 22 but who cares haha) it makes me feel safe.. can you take something with you that makes you feel safe?
    'My worst days in recovery are better than the best days in relapse.' - Kate Le Page

Comment

Hiya

Haha i will literally be asking someone where i need to be every 10 seconds because im going to get so lost at the airports!! I am definitely getting games on my phone to hopefully stop me getting bored and my teddy is also going to be coming with me and i dont care what looks i get about it.

Comment

Who cares what others think lol. I doubt you'll get lost, there's always people around to help. Would it be helpful to go to the airport you're travelling from before hand? So you could have a look around and see where to go? I know its a fair bit away but if your in London before then it might help put your mind at rest
        'My worst days in recovery are better than the best days in relapse.' - Kate Le Page

Comment

Yeah I would find it helpful I think but my dad is going to be driving me up in the morning of the day Iím flying because my flight isnít until about 8:30pm and because itís so far away from is (about an 8 hour drive) itís too far to just go up to look around. He is getting me there earlier though so I can have more time to go through things which I hope will be helpful.

I should be okay. I tend to overthink and panic about the smallest of things so I will always think the worst

Comment

Always remember one thing - there are good people and there are bad people in this world. It is only if you travel places and gather experience, you'll be able to deal with your life better as well as with people. For the first time, believe in your instincts. If you are not feeling right about something just don't do it. Thailand is a nice place but always behave as though you have your family with you. Enjoy your trip and wish speedy recovery to your father.

Comment

Hey Esme!

Oooh, I've always wanted to go travelling too! I just wanna see the world outside my own, but money and my anxieties have always stopped me. But mainly money 😂

The furthest from home I've travelled alone is Cornwall (which is like an 8 hour train journey from mine eeek) but it was definately worth it and I don't know where to go next!

I always take a few sweets with me, and my phone because I miss my dogs and have to video call them, but I'd take them with me if I could

Hope the travelling is amazing, let us know how it goes!

Aidan *insert fabulous rainbow here*
              Tough times never last, but tough people do

Comment

Travel sweets and ginger nuts!🙂
                'Why are you trying to fit in be born to stand out'

Comment

Hi @Esme17

Wow, Thailand and Bali! But I have a couple of suggestions you must be sure about doing before you go to the airport, the first being taking precribed medicines.

Any prescribed medicines must be listed on your repeat prescriptions form that your doctor precribes for you, in particular painkillers and prescribed Class A drugs, ie. Morphine tablets or in oral form for example, also BuTrans transdermal patches that contain a morphine derivative used as a powerful analgesic. Please note I am not saying or suggesting that you are prescribed such or any Class A meds, but it is imperitive that they are listed as per your doctor and also any such if in liquid form are carried with you onboard and NOT in your luggage. Any liquid painkillers must be put into a Ziplock-type clear polythene bag, also carried with you in your Onboard Carry. Thailand as you may know have stringent laws regarding Class A meds including I believe, the painkiller Tramadol. My mother has prescribed Class A's which she carries accordingly to my hawk eye as she has osteoarthritis

Check your onboard baggage size allowance. Some airlines such as EasyJet have a restriction on luggage weight and also Carry-on though Carry-on may not be weight restricted. If the overhead compartment in the plane is full then your onboard carry-on may have to go under your seat if the plane is full, or the cabin steward may put it down in the hold. This will NOT apply to medicines.

If you have a disability (I'm no way suggesting you have), airlines have Special Assistance where a member of the airport staff will accompany you to the aircraft and you get priority boarding. The cabin stewards are specially trained to help passengers who find flying difficult. Mum was greatly helped when once she flew alone back hom to Majorca. Ia slo warned Mum not to put her Insulin in her baggage as that must be put into her Carry-on bag

Regarding Bali, presently the country's airports have had to cancel outgoing and incoming flights because it has a huge ass volcano threatening to erupt. In which case you must check if your flight on to Bali will be delayed to any extent. Or even cancelled.

Always carry extra meds to your holiday in case your flight home is delayed. You are going for 2 months? I suggest as a precaution you take 3 months' worth of meds.

Returning to Special Assistance, at Check-In tell the clerk if you need it, and they will be only too glad to help. Don't worry, every day they have travellers needing Special Assistance. Get to your airport in good time. Follow your airline's instructions about how long you have to be at the airport before Check-In is called.

I'm well travelled. Happy travels, stay safe and have a whale of a time!

Julie

ETA 2, My partner's just come home and said 'Nothing is going into Bali at present because of that volcano'.
                  Last edited by Princesa; 29-11-2017, 05:19 PM.
                  The greatest female power is empathy to create relationships on a personal level. It's better for a woman to come across as more nurturing, more warm, and that is going to lend more success to her than for a man doing the same thing.

Comment

Thanks Princesa thats really helpful!!

The volcano is super scary! im not in Bali until Feb though so im hoping it sorts out a bit by then haha.

Comment

Just keep watch on the Bali volcano news, @Esme17 and see how things pan out.
                      The greatest female power is empathy to create relationships on a personal level. It's better for a woman to come across as more nurturing, more warm, and that is going to lend more success to her than for a man doing the same thing.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                      X