Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Support Circles on Sundays

Hey everyone,

We're going to be running support circles once a month on a Sunday! At the moment they run on Tuesdays, but for one of those Tuesdays, each month they will be running on a Sunday instead.

This next Sunday support circle will be on 26 November. If you'd like to come along, (sign up by completing the form here )
2 of 3 < >

Chatwee Update

Update - There's been some technical difficulties launching Chatwee onto our website so we will not be moving to Chatwee on Thursday.

As soon as we fix this issue, we'll announce another date for launching. We're really sorry for the delay in Chatwee, thanks so much for your patience.
3 of 3 < >

Post of The Month (September)

Maisy is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Shaunie,

​I care. I really relate to what you have been experiencing with the house falling apart, and things not getting fixed due to general shame of the state of the house and not knowing where to begin fixing things or who to contact (you don't want to come across rogue tradesmen). Not even having adequate heating and hot water. And clutter. Everywhere. It's horrible to live in such circumstances, I know. It's hard as well when you see everyone else living a 'normal' life and yet being unable to talk about your situation."
(Click for full post )
See more
See less

How you can look after yourself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you can look after yourself

Click image for larger version

Name:	150763250528720.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	18054

In honour of World Mental Health day I've collected just a few of many top tips you can use when you're having a particularly bad day and you guys can help come up with some more

1. Be active
    -
    Regular physical activity is associated with lower rates of depression and anxiety across all age groups.

Exercise is essential for slowing age-related cognitive decline and for promoting well-being.
    But it doesn’t need to be particularly intense for you to feel good - slower-paced activities, such as walking, can have the benefit of encouraging social interactions as well providing some level of exercise.
    Today, why not get physical? Here are a few ideas:
    • Take the stairs not the lift
    • Go for a walk at lunchtime
    • Walk into work or college - perhaps with a colleague or classmate – so you can ‘connect’ as well
    • Get off the bus one stop earlier than usual and walk the final part of your journey to work or education
    • Organise a work sporting activity
    • Have a kick-about in a local park
    • Do some ‘easy exercise’, like stretching, before you leave for work in the morning
    • Walk to someone’s desk instead of calling or emailing
    2. Take notice
    -
    Reminding yourself to ‘take notice’ can strengthen and broaden awareness.
    Studies have shown that being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your well-being and savouring ‘the moment’ can help to reaffirm your life priorities.
    Heightened awareness also enhances your self-understanding and allows you to make positive choices based on your own values and motivations.
    Take some time to enjoy the moment and the environment around you. Here are a few ideas:
    • Get a plant for your workspace
    • Have a ‘clear the clutter’ day
    • Take notice of how your colleagues are feeling or acting
    • Take a different route on your journey to or from work
    • Visit a new place for lunch.
    3. Daydream/Meditate
    - Take a mental vacation. Let your mind wander for a while.
    Try meditating or daydreaming. put some music on and imagine yourself where you really want to be. (i.e on a beach, with the wind softly blowing and a cocktail in hand) just think of where you really want to be right now or where you feel most at home.

So what are your guys thoughts on this? what are some of your top tips?
    Attached Files
    "Weave me a rope that will pull me through these impossible times"
    ~ Tim Finn

- LAINE

Absolutely love this list you've put together, Lane. I particularly like the ideas around varying your routine slightly - taking a slightly different route to work, walking part of your journey where you'd usually get a bus, etc. It's amazing how much freshness those little changes can bring you, and how nice it can feel to be broken out of an automatic routine.

I would also add that, occasionally, I find it really nice to just do nothing. Like, literally nothing. Have a lie down on my bed without music, without a TV on, and without texting. It's a bit of a weird feeling sometimes because we're so used to constantly doing stuff and our senses being so busy, but allowing yourself to 'let go' of all of that can be very therapeutic.

Reading that back, I realise I basically just described meditation, but whatever.

I'm not sure if this is strictly good for your mental health, but in terms of just getting out of your own head for a little while I do enjoy sinking pretty deeply into a good video game. Taking the time to get set up with headphones etc. and just get lost in it for a while. It can be a nice escape, if nothing else. I guess not unlike diving into a good book.
    Taking care of yourself takes care of more than just yourself.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
    X