Essential support for under 25s


1 of 4 < >

Expert chat: Enthusiastic Consent & Conditional Consent (Wed 21st February)

Hey everyone!

On Wednesday 21st Feb at 6.30pm, Sarah our expert, will be running an expert chat about Enthusiastic Consent and Conditional Consent.

Sarah is the co-founder of Scarlet Ladies, a community of women with the aim to destigmatise and normalise the conversation around female sexuality.

Suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after experiencing a number of traumas, including rape, Sarah is reclaiming her body by engaging in bodybuilding and powerlifting. Taking back control of her sexuality, she is currently remaining abstinent. Working and campaigning with other women for the sexual empowerment of women has been an integral part of her healing journey.

Come along and join us! Find out more here
2 of 4 < >

Vanilla features: have your say

As we move to our new boards software, Vanilla, we'll have a few new features at our disposal. We're keen to hear what you all think about them, so head here to have your say over how we'll use (or not use) some of the new features. Fill out the form before Wednesday the 21st to tell us your thoughts and have the option of joining our testing team!
3 of 4 < >

The Great Boards Migration

Great news! We're moving to new discussion boards software. Head here for the full announcement.
4 of 4 < >

Post of The Month

One-in-a-million is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Just a bit of fun here if you could create an advent calendar what would you put in it and why.

For me you would still get chocolate 😆😆
But inside each door is a task for the day. Something that includes you helping/talking to others, doing something festive and spreading Christmas cheer
For example

1. Tell your parents/carers you love them
2. Say hello when passing an OAP (that might be the only thing someone says to them all week)
3. Watch a Christmas movie
4. Help someone in need e.g put some spare change in a charity box, buy a warm drink for the homeless person who sits on the corner, dothe washing up ha ha ha😂
5 make hot chocolate
6. Visit your grandparents (if you donít already) They will more than likely love to see you.
7. Sing a Christmas song with a friend
8. Dress up in something Christmasy when you do your shopping.

You get the idea 😂😉 my reason for this is to get people in the mood and understand what Christmas actually means.

What would yours have and why."
(Click for full post )
See more
See less

Council tax

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Council tax

    A friend of mine lived with his mother in her flat until recently, when she moved out. Since then, he lives alone in his mother's flat, which she still owns outright. The council have changed the name on the council tax bill from hers to his - and are now demanding that he pay the council tax for the flat. My friend is refusing to pay it because he believes that it's his mother's obligation to pay it, because it's her flat and he's neither a tenant nor the owner. She is also refusing to pay it because she says it's not her duty to pay it because she no longer lives there. There's no rent, mortgage, landlord, lease, arrears, joint account or any legal agreement between him and her in regard to anything. He is currently the only person on the electoral register at the address. Who is legally obliged to pay the council tax on the flat in question?
    Last edited by Robert; 08-03-2017, 04:34 PM.

  • #2
    I don't know a whole lot about council tax. But if your friend's mother moved out, she should've notified the council about change of address. Since your friend was living there, she may have had to confirm that he would still be living there, though she moved out. This maybe why the council put his name down for the council tax. I would guess that if your friend's mother hasn't confirmed change of address that she is liable, otherwise he is. But best to check with the council or citizens advice.


    • #3
      The council are fully aware of the situation. Both my friend and his mother have told the council that he now lives alone in her flat and that she lives elsewhere. That's why the bill is in his name. Who lives where isn't in dispute. The issue is whether or not someone can be legally responsible for council tax on a property which he is neither the owner nor a tenant of.

      Does anyone have experience of this sort of situation - or legal knowledge of it?
      Last edited by Robert; 08-03-2017, 05:31 PM.


      • #4
        It depends. If his mother still owns the property, then she may have to pay, depending on certain things. Otherwise, if he is adult and living there, regardless of whether his mother owns it, he will have to pay. At least that's what I gathered from this:
        Last edited by Maisy; 08-03-2017, 06:10 PM.


        • #5
          You could argue that he's 4. in the hierarchy of liability, but does being a licensee have to be a formal agreement? There's no agreement between him and his mother - he simply continues to live in the house that he's lived in for years. His life's no different, except for the fact that his mother no longer lives there. He didn't have a say in the matter, so he's baffled as to how he can now be liable for the flat's council tax when he never had been before.
          Last edited by Robert; 08-03-2017, 06:17 PM.


          • #6
            I don't suppose it needs to be a formal agreement. Either way, they should contact an advisor or someone who can help them personally with their situation.


            • #7
              He doesn't want to go down the lawyers and court route. He's tried phoning Citizens' Advice many times, but couldn't get through.


              Hide this page

              Local Advice Finder

              Find local services

              The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995