Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Expert chat: Enthusiastic Consent & Conditional Consent (Wed 21st February)

Hey everyone!

On Wednesday 21st Feb at 6.30pm, Sarah our expert, will be running an expert chat about Enthusiastic Consent and Conditional Consent.

Sarah is the co-founder of Scarlet Ladies, a community of women with the aim to destigmatise and normalise the conversation around female sexuality.

Suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after experiencing a number of traumas, including rape, Sarah is reclaiming her body by engaging in bodybuilding and powerlifting. Taking back control of her sexuality, she is currently remaining abstinent. Working and campaigning with other women for the sexual empowerment of women has been an integral part of her healing journey.

Come along and join us! Find out more here
2 of 4 < >

Vanilla features: have your say

As we move to our new boards software, Vanilla, we'll have a few new features at our disposal. We're keen to hear what you all think about them, so head here to have your say over how we'll use (or not use) some of the new features. Fill out the form before Wednesday the 21st to tell us your thoughts and have the option of joining our testing team!
3 of 4 < >

The Great Boards Migration

Great news! We're moving to new discussion boards software. Head here for the full announcement.
4 of 4 < >

Post of The Month

One-in-a-million is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Just a bit of fun here if you could create an advent calendar what would you put in it and why.

For me you would still get chocolate 😆😆
But inside each door is a task for the day. Something that includes you helping/talking to others, doing something festive and spreading Christmas cheer
For example

1. Tell your parents/carers you love them
2. Say hello when passing an OAP (that might be the only thing someone says to them all week)
3. Watch a Christmas movie
4. Help someone in need e.g put some spare change in a charity box, buy a warm drink for the homeless person who sits on the corner, dothe washing up ha ha ha😂
5 make hot chocolate
6. Visit your grandparents (if you donít already) They will more than likely love to see you.
7. Sing a Christmas song with a friend
8. Dress up in something Christmasy when you do your shopping.

You get the idea 😂😉 my reason for this is to get people in the mood and understand what Christmas actually means.

What would yours have and why."
(Click for full post )
See more
See less

DILEMMAAAAA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just told my aunt, and she suggested you screenshot your email and your support teacher's reply (all 3 lines) and keep it in case you need to take this further.

"You may not need to", aunty says. "But the ammunition is there should you need to aim high in order to hit low." (meaning you next contact the school board of governors).

I always said my aunt was a badass.
    "Seconds of your life are ticking away. If someone says that there's a rule - break it! That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirabelle View Post
      I've just told my aunt, and she suggested you screenshot your email and your support teacher's reply (all 3 lines) and keep it in case you need to take this further.

&quot;You may not need to&quot;, aunty says. &quot;But the ammunition is there should you need to aim high in order to hit low.&quot; (meaning you next contact the school board of governors).

I always said my aunt was a badass.
      Thank you Belle! I will definitely do that.

On a positive note I think (for the moment anyway) that she may have listened to the email, as she's been notably more pleasant to me since it was sent!! Goodness knows how long that will last, though!
      "Truely independent person who doesn't do quotes, just dates".. (29.04.17)

Comment

Originally posted by independent_ View Post

Thank you Belle! I will definitely do that.

On a positive note I think (for the moment anyway) that she may have listened to the email, as she's been notably more pleasant to me since it was sent!! Goodness knows how long that will last, though!
        That sounds like a good start from her, but we'll see. Try and stay under her radar today, okay? Then you'll have that nice break you're looking forward to.
        "Seconds of your life are ticking away. If someone says that there's a rule - break it! That's the only thing that moves things forward."
        -Hans Zimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirabelle View Post

That sounds like a good start from her, but we'll see. Try and stay under her radar today, okay? Then you'll have that nice break you're looking forward to.
          Right!!! I don't have to see her again until 14th February!!!!!
          "Truely independent person who doesn't do quotes, just dates".. (29.04.17)

Comment

Did you find your NI number and send off your application form? If not yet, make sure it goes by registered post. Then one of your school's admin will have to sign for it. Which will be greatness, so it won't accidentally get lost in the post.

Fingers & toes crossed. Good luck!
            -Hans Zimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by independent_ View Post
              Dilemma!! I don't know what I should do!!

So as many of you know, I have at most another 18 months left at school (I'll be 16 in December and can either leave then or in June 2019).

Last night I attended an event focusing on the types of school/college linker programmes that are available. It's basically where you can go to school, but 2 or so afternoons a week you go to college to do a chosen course (which can result in another qualification).

I had 2 options I was interested in: one being higher Psychology (equivalent to and A-Level). The other was a course in Media. At the moment, I'm thinking more about doing the higher psychology (although it is available at my school, I can progress further with it and it get's me into the college environment.

So, one of my teachers (support woman not subject teacher btw) today I told her about the college event - she's a very negative person so I decided to hold off telling her my plans/thoughts on the event. However, she came out with: &quot;Nah, you'd be better off staying at school. You're too clever for that, a lot of people do those linking programmes because they aren't gonna get good qualifications - and that isn't you&quot;.

However, last night's view from the staff at the college was completely different - anyone could do it.

I just don't know whether to go for it - if I do, she will think I'm taking a crappy career path and therefore be horrible about it. But if I don't, it means another year with a full time school timetable and (you guessed it) more negativity from her more than I need.

The problem is I'm not thriving at that school... I feel like if I don't do this I will probably end up leaving at Christmas - which would be received equally (if not more) badly.

I'm just sick of all the negativity at my school... they make me doubt myself!!

Sorry this is so long!!
              A lot of people have this view towards colleges and it is wrong. Yes, studying in higher education in a school is different to studying qualifications in college but, as with anything, there are pros and cons to both.

I was having this same debate 5 years ago-1)Stay on at school and study Health and Social Care in Sixth form or 2)Study any course at college and still gain qualifications from those. I ended up choosing to do courses at college and I am now more qualified than several I know who stayed on at school😱But this again depends on the courses you choose and education pathway you wish to go down☺

Maybe doing a pros and cons list will help you consider the options and be a prompt towards making your decision? And I assume there's still some time for that yet, which is good☺

Ultimately, it is your decision. This is YOUR life😊

Will you ever be seeing or speaking to this support person again? If not, then that relationship with her should not be a factor in the decision you make for yourself😊

Take this from someone who 's been there👍

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
              X