Essential support for under 25s


1 of 3 < >

Prize draw!

We're running a prize draw here on the discussion boards! Take a look here to get involved.
2 of 3 < >

Post of The Month (August)

Meggles is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"my recent post and a comment from another user has made me realise that self care is so important.

I wanted to start a thread in the Health and Wellbeing section of the boards about self care.

Self care is provided by you, for you

I know a lot of us are struggling at the moment with different aspects of our own lives, and sometimes we get so lost in these we forget to take time for ourselves. This tread is, a Reminder to you to take time out for yourself during the difficult times.

down in the comments I would really love for people to share ideas and tips about self- care. to remind ourselves and others in the community.

My way of self care when i recognise ( or someone recognises i have neglected myself) is:

Take a walk and admire whats around me ( take as long as needed)
treat myself to a bath with a bathbomb and bubbles ( bubbles are important)
make a hot drink and just sit down with a film.

Please feel free to share your ideas!

The Mix have a guide to self-care which you can find here."
(Click for full post )
3 of 3 < >

Get involved

Fancy hosting one of our General Chats, or getting involved with the community in another way? Let us know here.
See more
See less

How to word this on a cv

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to word this on a cv

    Hi guys so I'm thinking my cv is in need of a good update.

    I'm a nursery support worke who works with a child who has additional needs. So I sorta work in the SEN category (special educational needs)

    There's nothing I hate more then when someone refers to a child as a sen child.

    No child should have a label!!! its should be a child who has additional needs or a child who has a sensory impairment. I have always stood by the saying of "disabilitys and learning difficulties is not a lable!"

    So, how can I word this on a cv so that they can see at a glance that I have experience in SEN. Can I put "I have had experience with children who have additional needs."
    Or do I need to mention SEN.

    I'm just curious as a friend who works in a different nursery said it will make it more clear to put "I work with SEN children"

    But I hate the terminology of it!

  • #2
    In a way, isn't saying 'children with additional needs' labelling anyway? But I do understand what you mean. 'SEN' sort of strips away the actual person and makes them another statistic, but that's the same with all labels; they come with a level of dissassociation and de-personalisation.

    If you need to express your experience with SEN children specifically, but understandably despise the terminology, maybe just write that.

    E.g "I have experience with SEN children, although I must say I dislike the label due to the implied inferiority to others, and the aspect of defining many such children as all being the same. I believe the contrary is true, having had experience working with 'SEN' children."

    That's probably a bit long for a CV, in retrospect, but I hope you understand the angle I'm coming from, from it.

    Anyway, hope you figure it out!! And if you're updating your CV to find a job, good luck in the job hunt!! 😊
    "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"- Hamlet


    • #3
      Hi One-in-a-million,

      Completely see what you mean! And you're actually not wrong in saying that is isn't the best thing to say! I study psychology and one of our lecturers actually mentioned that it is best to not label someone as something but rather as suffering with something. That way you divide the 'disability' or 'issue' from the individual as opposed to seeing labelling the person as its issue or disability. What Aidan said seems pretty good! You could always say 'I work with children who suffer from SEN', that way you maintain who they are but just mention that they are faced with something they happen to have. Hope this helps, and well done for thinking so sensitively about these things! It's a great step to reducing stigmatisation!

      Have a great day,


      • #4
        Not sure if this is still relevant, but I think wording it as 'working with a child who has additional needs' is fine. SEN is the most common term but I've also seen additional needs being used quite frequently too.

        Anyway, totally agree with not labelling though


        • #5
          Hey guys sorry I never replied

          Aidan- It's quite difficult when doing this I've always been told to spearate the condition or disability from the name. We sometimes have to talk about conditions and disabilities. Sane as my CV, if I went to a job to work with children with a disability they would want me to show thatbin a CV. I always feel like I wouldn't want someone to call me an epileptic person or a dyslexic person. Because It almost sounds like I'm a different species so I prefer a person "with" or "that has". I do get what you mean tho

          Thank you for your advice Drea and maisy. I've asked advice and been told saying
          "Working 1-2-1 with additional need" is fine


          Hide this page

          Local Advice Finder

          Find local services

          The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995