Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Chatwee Update

Update - There's been some technical difficulties launching Chatwee onto our website so we will not be moving to Chatwee on Thursday.

As soon as we fix this issue, we'll announce another date for launching. We're really sorry for the delay in Chatwee, thanks so much for your patience.
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (September)

Maisy is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Shaunie,

​I care. I really relate to what you have been experiencing with the house falling apart, and things not getting fixed due to general shame of the state of the house and not knowing where to begin fixing things or who to contact (you don't want to come across rogue tradesmen). Not even having adequate heating and hot water. And clutter. Everywhere. It's horrible to live in such circumstances, I know. It's hard as well when you see everyone else living a 'normal' life and yet being unable to talk about your situation."
(Click for full post )
See more
See less

What do you look for in a job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for in a job?

I've had a recent re-evaluation of my dream occupation (abandoning the psychiatry path to return to my old goal of being in the RAF, if you must know), and I was weighing up the pros and cons of either job. One paid more, had greater benefits, is more enjoyable but is potentially life-threatening. The other is important and makes a difference more locally and would be a job for life, however isn't the most important thing to me.

I was curious what other people looked for in a job. Adventure? Stability? Money? Power? Making a difference? I'm just curious.

Thanks guys
    No matter how hard it will get
    We will pull always through
    ​Because I'll never forget
    ​It's the human thing to do

Interesting question...

For me, the money needs to be comfortably liveable but I'm not driven to earn any more than I need. Stability is preferable but not essential, power doesn't matter and adventure is good if it's not physical (#lazy). Ultimately though, I need to be doing something I want to get up and do every day. My last job was in customer service and I just spent my days dreading going in because I didn't enjoy it or feel like I was actually achieving anything with my time (unless you count making a mean ice-cream sundae or latte). Long term, that's not a healthy thing to put yourself through!

Edit: another huge thing for me is the environment. If the organisation or workplace doesn't look after its people, that's a huge red flag. Good colleagues can definitely make or break a job for me.
    Taking care of yourself takes care of more than just yourself.

Comment

The end-goal job anyway, wage needs to be suistainable and enough for a holiday once every so often - though high wage isn't really a pull, more like a sustainable wage is a requirement.

As for the rest, hmm. I don't mind instability in an individual job but stability in the sector as a whole is needed and if unstable, a low amount of ""transition time"" to a new job ie very little time spent between employers.

I'd love to make a difference with a job, but more importantly i mostly want to have fun. My aim is to just do psychological research for as long as i can because it's both fun and potentially world-changing :D Mostly fun though. And hella interesting. Discovering new stuff...thats what i wanna do :D

Organisation of a workplace is pretty much essential though. I DESPISE awful management. Jobs with as few last minute changes as possible suit me best due to how inflexible my schedule is, and managers that don't care or are really bad at organising anything....or lets not forget, they didn't tell you you needed to do something that the job doesn't usually require/that you aren't expected to do, but they expect you to do it anyway....i have a grudge against bad managers and i will personally curse them with paranormal magics. :P

Also I can't handle work colleagues who are straight up a-holes - i'm talking the racist, sexist etc. kind. Looool no thank you to any workplace with them vibes in it.
      Why didn't you just shout i'm lonely and i'm looking for a place to go ~ Where everything's an embrace and everybody wants to know

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
      X