Essential support for under 25s


1 of 3 < >

Support Circles on Sundays

Hey everyone,

We're going to be running support circles once a month on a Sunday! At the moment they run on Tuesdays, but for one of those Tuesdays, each month they will be running on a Sunday instead.

This next Sunday support circle will be on 26 November. If you'd like to come along, (sign up by completing the form here )
2 of 3 < >

Chatwee Update

Update - There's been some technical difficulties launching Chatwee onto our website so we will not be moving to Chatwee on Thursday.

As soon as we fix this issue, we'll announce another date for launching. We're really sorry for the delay in Chatwee, thanks so much for your patience.
3 of 3 < >

Post of The Month (September)

Maisy is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Shaunie,

​I care. I really relate to what you have been experiencing with the house falling apart, and things not getting fixed due to general shame of the state of the house and not knowing where to begin fixing things or who to contact (you don't want to come across rogue tradesmen). Not even having adequate heating and hot water. And clutter. Everywhere. It's horrible to live in such circumstances, I know. It's hard as well when you see everyone else living a 'normal' life and yet being unable to talk about your situation."
(Click for full post )
See more
See less

Part time Further Education on ESA

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Part time Further Education on ESA

    Hi guys

    I'm looking at doing a part time course at Strathclyde University on counselling. I have heart failure, had a stroke and osteoarthritis. I am on esa (support group) and PIP enhanced daily and standard mobility. I am worried that if I even enquire about the course never mind embark on it I will lose benefits especially having spent years appealing to get what I have. Anyone been in a similar situation?

  • #2
    Hey Steve, and welcome.

    I moved this thread to the Work & Volunteering forum where it fits a little better, and should get seen a bit more easily.

    This community is primarily made up of under 25s, so you might struggle to find someone who closely shares your circumstances. Of course, you are still welcome to stick around and we'll do our best to help where we can.

    We have an article on ESA, and I noticed this section which seems relevant to you:

    Originally posted by The Mix
    Can I study and claim ESA?

    If you get contribution-based ESA, you can study part-time or full-time without affecting your claim.

    Most full-time students can’t get income-related ESA, but you can if you’re getting DLA or PIPs.

    If you study part-time it shouldn’t affect your claim for income-related ESA (although be aware that being able to study part-time may show you can do a certain amount of work).

    For more advice on studying and claiming ESA, contact the Disabled Students Helpline on 0800 328 5050 (open Tuesdays 11.30am-1.30pm, and Thursdays 1.30pm-3.30pm). You can also email
    I'm not sure if this information also applies to Scotland, though.

    To get a tailored opinion on your situation, you might want to try contacting Citizens Advice (here is their website for Scotland). They provide free legal advice and information, and should be able to help you out if you can't find any info elsewhere. There's a lot of information on their website worth looking through too.

    Best of luck, and hopefully someone can offer more help than me!
    Taking care of yourself takes care of more than just yourself.


    Hide this page

    Local Advice Finder

    Find local services

    The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995