Legal highs almost killed me
When M-Cat was made illegal, Donna* decided to buy a different legal high online – thinking it must be safe. She tells The Mix how this decision almost killed her.
As I heaved into the toilet, it felt like my body was trying to reject my organs. I’d been vomiting for hours. Nothing but bile was coming up, but I was too sick to care. I was weak, cold and hoped the ambulance would get here in time. I wasn’t ready to die in a club toilet.
Trying M-Cat for the first time
Since moving to London I enjoyed clubbing with my friends. Every now and then I would take a bomb of MDMA from a mate, but I didn’t want to jeopardise my job as a sales assistant so I never bought any myself. It made me rather cautious and I think it irritated the group. That’s why I found out about legal highs.
The first time I bought M-Cat, it was advertised as “air freshener” online. I read lots of reviews to make sure it was safe. The white powder turned up at my doorstep and it only cost me ?20. I could hardly believe my luck. I had found a door-to-door, reasonably priced drug service and it was all completely legal! My friends and I tried it in the toilets of one of our favourite nightclubs, giggling as we sniffed the white powder through a five-pound note. Within minutes I felt a rush, similar to the feeling of MDMA. We spent all night dancing and grinding our teeth. I felt safe and invincible. I’d found a drug that was as good as its illegal contenders and there were no consequences…so I thought.
Buying M-Cat had become a weekly ritual. I would normally have at least half a gram on a night out. The rush gave me confidence and turned average evenings into all-night adventures. However, when two boys were reported to die from M-Cat everything started to change.
My friends and I weren’t too scared as we’d been snorting it for nearly a year now and nothing bad had happened. But, within months, the government made it illegal. I was frustrated. My legal high ticket was now invalid. I searched online for a replacement and found a white powder advertised as “plant feed”. The site reassured that the side-effects were similar to M-Cat and the chemical structure was adapted so it was not illegal in the UK. I took my chances and clicked on the overnight delivery button.
Something’s not right
The next day I received the “plant feed” through the post. It looked and smelled the same as M-Cat and I felt a sense of relief. Once again my friends and I started the ritual in the club toilets, huffing up greedy lines of the powder. We were in agreement that it tasted bitter and left a nasty aftertaste. But we didn’t let it bother us. We were just excited to get the night going. On the dance floor I didn’t have that familiar rush. My friends looked like they were having a great time. Why didn’t I feel the same?
I decided the new drug wasn’t as strong. I went to the toilet, pulled out the wrap and poured out two hefty lines onto my passport. Surely this would get me in a better mood. I sniffed them both up, one after the other and the drip went straight to the back of my throat. It hit me immediately but instead of feeling great, I started to feel shaky and sick. Within minutes I was vomiting white foam and vodka tonic.
The next few hours were a blur. I could not stop vomiting. Every ten minutes or so I heaved over the bowl, with nothing but white foam or air coming out. My mouth completely dried up and I shivered with a fever. I was absolutely terrified. I didn’t want to die here in a club toilet. What would my family think?
At midnight I found the strength to text one of my friends. She charged into the toilets and the look on her face proved I was a mess. I couldn’t get the words out to explain. The only thing I could do was purge over the toilet. I was in absolute agony and felt dizzy and cold. I was scared yet I did not have the energy to help myself. Luckily my friend called an ambulance straight away.
Going to the hospital
I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance and taken straight in for tests. The doctor told me I was suffering from dehydration and I was put on a drip. By now the repercussions of what I had done to myself were kicking in. The doctor explained that the substance was a stimulant and drinking alcohol with it had made me even more dehydrated. Taking so much of the chemical in one go had put serious strain on my body. If I left it much longer I could have passed out and been left for dead in the toilets. How could I have been so stupid?
I took the first half of the week off work to recover. I was still weak from vomiting and loosing so much body fluid. I spent the time thinking over what I had done. I realised that while I had not had any bad experiences with M-Cat, I had been taking a risk by purchasing legal highs online. Who knew what chemicals were being used? I was betting my life away with each gram. I felt guilty to myself for taking such a risk.
Going into hospital was a huge wake up call. I realise now that by buying legal highs you are putting your life in someone else’s hands. I still enjoy clubbing with my friends, but now we just stick to a few drinks for a bit of fun. Legal or not legal, my time with drugs is over. Putting chemicals of any kind into your body poses a risk that is just not worth taking.
By Daisy Phillipson
Updated on 29-Sep-2015
Can exercise beat anxiety and depression?
We investigate whether you can beat depression and ...
Unemployed and feeling crap? Yeah, sounds about right. ...
Telling your boyfriend or girlfriend you have a mental health problem
When to do it, what to say and how they'll react.
Is it ever right for a man to have boobs? Read on and ...
A guide to self care
How to keep your mind and body happy and healthy.