“I want to move out!” How to get help moving out

So you had a HUGE argument with your folks and you NEED to get out…right now. Take a moment and think about your decision. Finding somewhere to live at the last minute can be pretty stressful. But if you’re currently reading this and tearing your hair out, screaming “I want to move out!” The Mix are here to help.

A young woman is pursing her lips. She needs help moving out. This is a close-up image.

Reasons for leaving home

Whatever your situation at home, take some time to figure out if it’s truly intolerable. Is it really time to move out? The temptation to walk out can be hard to resist. Especially if you’ve just had another row and screamed “I want to move out” at the top of your lungs, but that doesn’t mean you have to. Ask yourself, is it something that can be sorted out once tempers have cooled? If so, aim to find yourself some space – even if it means staying with friends or other family members.

If you walk away from this argument and cut ties completely, you’re just making the problem bigger than it needs to be. Remember, staying at your parents’ house is a great way to save money for the future. With house prices and rent the way they are at the moment, picking the right time to move could save you a lot of cash. Plus, there’s the added bonus of keeping your parents and siblings in your life, which will majorly pay off down the road.

Moving out because or violence or abuse

Your notion of “I want to move out” is completely valid if your home life has become a toxic environment. Of course, in cases of violence, abuse or eviction, getting out as soon as possible is important as staying at home may feel unsafe. If you find yourself in this situation without anywhere to go, don’t panic. Help moving out is available. 

Help moving out

How to find somewhere to live when it’s time to move

Chances are you’re feeling vulnerable and confused, but you don’t have to go through this alone. There are a number of local and national agencies that can give you somewhere to live, wherever you are in the country, at any time of day or night.

If you’re out on the streets, and don’t know where to start, make Shelter your first port of call. This UK charity is dedicated to providing support and advice on all aspects of housing and homelessness. They can be a great help in emergencies. They’ll be able to put a roof over your head and food on the table – no judgement involved. 

Know your housing rights

Once you’ve made contact, a professional housing advisor will go through your options. This includes your rights as a tenant if a landlord has kicked you out. They’ll have a list of available accommodation in your area and can advise you on what benefit you may be entitled to, including housing benefit (a contribution to the cost of your rent). You can find out more about housing benefit here.

A housing advisor can also help determine what responsibility your local council has towards you. If you’re completely stranded, or you’re pregnant, aged 16/17, or a young person under 21, then you may be eligible for emergency housing (a roof over your head while the council looks into your situation). This also applies if you’ve been in care before or are struggling with mental health issues.

Help with emergency housing

Much depends on your local council’s initial decision regarding emergency housing (in Northern Ireland, for example, these decisions are made by the Housing Executive). Once you have a place to stay, they’ll have to do an assessment. You may then be given temporary, longer-term accommodation, or referred to another council. Referral will only happen if that council can provide more effective help.

If they feel unable to help at all, they might not follow up with you. In this case, be sure to keep in touch with Shelter or your local housing advisor. They’ll make your welfare a priority. Shelter will start off by contacting night shelters or emergency hostels on your behalf. Then they’ll start helping you with benefit claims to get your house in order.

Next Steps

  • Shelter's advice website for young people offers help with housing problems and a free helpline 0808 800 4444. If you're in Scotland, use http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/ instead.
  • The Albert Kennedy Trust supports LGBT people aged 16-25-years-old who are homeless or living in a hostile environment. AKT has offices in London (call on 020 7831 6562), Manchester (0161 228 3308) and Newcastle (0191 281 0099).
  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
  • Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.

By Nishika Melwani

Updated on 07-Jan-2022