Alternatives to cheesy chat up lines
Forget googling great chat up lines and writing them on the back of your hand. That was so 2008. Nowadays it’s all about originality. So it’s time to put on those thinking caps and get to work. Don’t worry though, we’ll lend a hand. The Mix gives examples of what not to do.
Cheesy chat-up lines have been around since the dark ages, but that doesn’t automatically make them good. Basically, if you want a sure way of scaring someone off, just use some ‘great’ chat up lines on them. If, on the other hand, you actually want to score a date, you don’t have to rearrange the alphabet to do it. Just follow this one simple tip: talk to people.
How to talk to people you fancy without using chat-up lines
OK, so maybe it’s not that simple. What can we say? Going up to a person you like is terrifying. Regardless, you can still use some of our advice to help you out:
- Introduce yourself first, then ask their name and remember it. The words ‘babe’ and ‘darling’ are banned from your vocabulary.
- Ask them about themselves. Try to ask open-ended questions and actually listen to their answers. The more you listen, the easier it is to keep the conversation flowing. Don’t go in too deep though, you don’t need their whole life story before the first date even happens.
- Throw in a compliment to show that you’re interested. Keep it honest and simple though – no sleaze please! ‘Your tits look great in that dress’ has never been the line that starts any great love story.
- Be relaxed and confident. Talking about yourself is fine, but don’t brag incessantly – especially about your sex life. In fact, it’s probs best to leave sex out of the convo until at least the 5th date.
- Have a sense of humour. You don’t have to be a comedic genius, but laugh when they’re funny. Equally, you should try cracking a joke once in a while to let them know that you’re not all serious all the time.
- Start making physical contact if things are going well, but don’t let your hands wander too much. As a rule of thumb – If your hand ends up on their bum, theirs will probably end up on your face.
- Tell them you find them attractive and ask for their number. That way you avoid letting them become your Cinderella (any version of the story).
- Don’t swap numbers with anyone you’re not interested in, especially if you find them creepy. You should probably wait until the end of the date before swapping personal info. That way you know you can spend at least two hours with them without watching the clock.
- If they’re not interested, just politely walk away. Honestly, it isn’t worth chasing someone who doesn’t want you. And the less you let it get to you, the easier it will be to move on. We promise, you’ll find the right person eventually. You might just have to go through a few wrong ones along the way.
We recommend also reading our article on how to pull here, which offers some practical tips for breaking the ice without using pick up lines.
Great chat up lines (use with caution)
OK, so they may not actually work, but cheesy pick up lines are pretty funny and a great segue into some fun conversation. Here are some great chat up lines (did you get the sarcasm?). But you’ve been warned – use them at your own peril:
- Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?
- You must be Jamaican, because Jamaican me crazy.
- You know what material this is? (Grabs shirt) Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Partner material.
- I think there’s something wrong with my phone. Could you try calling it for me to see if it rings?
- I bet you £10 you’re going to turn me down.
- Would you like to help me with my self-esteem?
- Be unique and different – say yes.
- Screw me if I’m wrong… but I think you want to sleep with me.
And our personal favourite:
- You’re so beautiful you made me forget my pick up line.
What’s your opinion on cheesy chat up lines? And do you know any particularly funny ones? Let us know in the comments below or share them on our discussion boards.
By Nishika Melwani
Updated on 17-Dec-2021
No featured article