How much are CRB checks?

Where can I get CRB check for free as I am on JSA?

What used to be CRB checks are now known as DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks. You cannot do a DBS check on yourself – DBS checks are generally done by employers or organisations who are recruiting for specific roles that require employees to be DBS checked (this tends to be for jobs where you would be working with children or vulnerable adults).

There are various types of checks that can be conducted – the standard check (£26), the enhanced check (£44) and the enhanced with lists checks (£44). Your employer should let you know which is required.

Most employers or organisations that require you to undergo a DBS check will generally cover the fee for you but this will vary dependant on the employer so if you are applying for a role that you think will require you to undergo a DBS check then it would best to check with them on what their policy is.

It is worth bearing in mind that DBS checks are free for volunteers, the DBS class a volunteer as “a person engaged in an activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses), doing something which aims to benefit some third party other than, or in addition to, a close relative.”

For further information on DBS checks, you can contact the Disclosure and Baring Service helpline on 0870 909 0811.

Answered by Citizens Advice Bureau on 20-May-2013

Next Steps

  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
  • Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.