What’s the white stuff under my foreskin?

I've got a white substance under my foreskin, can you tell me what it is? How do I get rid of it? I'm also getting some pain after I ejaculate, could this be connected?

It sounds like what you’re describing is smegma, a white substance produced by the penis glands that appears under the foreskin. Smegma is perfectly natural but it’s important to make sure you wash thoroughly on a daily basis because, if it’s left to build up, it can cause problems, like an infection. And it’ll start to smell.

You should clean under the foreskin (by fully pulling the foreskin back), using unperfumed soap, and make sure you dry yourself properly afterwards.

It could be the pain you describe is due to an infection caused by a build up of smegma – a condition known as balanitis. But it’s impossible to diagnose over the internet, so you need to see your doctor (GP) about this.

If you feel embarrassed about talking to your doctor, try to remember doctors examine penises every day and understand that men often feel uneasy about it.

Of course, if you don’t wish to see your regular doctor about this, you could see someone at a specialist sexual health clinic. The services they offer are completely confidential and you don’t even have to give your real name (but make sure you use the same name every time you visit).


Next Steps

  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
  • Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.