I’ve been accused of stealing at work

My boss has accused me of stealing. There’s no CCTV evidence, but my employer says a discrepancy in the till receipts proves I stole money. They’ve suspended me and reported me to the police. Would handing in my notice improve my chances of them dropping the charges?

If you’re innocent then you have a case to fight both at work and in the courts to clear your name.

To sack you, the company will have to go through the statutory disciplinary procedure that allows for a hearing and an appeal. You could also take out a grievance against the company and go to an appeal. If, after this process, you’re still unhappy with the outcome you may be able to make an application to an Employment Tribunal to make a claim for unfair dismissal.

If the case goes to court then the prosecution will need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you committed the crime – a much tougher test than used by the company.

Resigning is not necessarily a good idea, as it could be construed as an admission of guilt. If you do decide to leave, you might want to write to the company restating that you didn’t steal any money and are only leaving because you feel there’s been a fundamental breakdown of trust and you can no longer work for them.

If you’re a member of a union then you can contact them for more detailed help and advice. Alternatively, your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) should also be able to help.


Next Steps

  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
  • Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.