Confidentiality at The Mix
We believe you have the right to use our services confidentially, which means keeping what you say between you and The Mix. This includes our; website, helpline, discussion boards, group chat, counselling, workshops and any other services run by The Mix.
We also believe that keeping you and other young people safe is very important. This means that sometimes we might contact other agencies or organisations to get you, or someone else, help.
When might we contact other agencies
If we contact another agency or organisation we will always try and do this with you knowing. We would do this if:
- We believe your life, or someone else’s, is in danger
- We believe you are currently hurting someone else
- Our staff, services, volunteers or organisation are threatened
We are also legally required to share information if:
- We receive information about terrorist activity that has taken place or will take place. We will share this with the police.
- Legal action is taken to request information. This can include legal action taken through the Data Protection Act, or during criminal investigations.
If we do need to pass on information, we will only share information that helps identify who you are, locate where you are, or is important to making sure you and others get help and are safe. This could be information like; name, date of birth, phone number or IP address (a number used by your Internet provider).
We will always try not to share anything else you have told us when contacting our services. Only what is absolutely relevant to why we are worried. Where possible we will agree with you beforehand what we are going to pass on.
You can read more about your privacy here.
What happens after we contact another agency
Remember, we only do this if we really need to. After we’ve broken confidentiality we may contact them again to ask for feedback about what has happened.
Unless we’ve told you, it won’t affect how you use our services. If we have been worried enough to break confidentiality, then we will keep that information in case we are concerned for your safety in the future.