Benefits for son with ADHD

I'm a single mother and my son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD. Does this entitle me to any benefits?

It’s possible for a child suffering from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to be classed as disabled and so to be entitled to a statement of special educational needs. As such, your son could be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

If he’s granted DLA, you may be entitled to extra help through Child Tax Credits. There are many factors involved in working out how much you might be entitled to, but you can get a rough idea by using this calculator.

You may be able to get some advice about ADHD and DLA from The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service (ADDISS), or the charity Contact a Family.

If you’d like support with applying for DLA or tax credits, your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) will be able to advise you. In addition, many CABs are able to help you with filling in forms.

Next Steps

  • Addaction helps people recover from drug and alcohol addictions.
  • Use the Turn2Us calculator to work out what benefits and grants you're entitled to, or call their helpline on 0808 802 2000
  • Citizens Advice offer free help with housing, money and legal problems. Find your local centre.
  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
  • Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.