Education Maintenance Allowance and the 16–19 bursary fund

If you’re living in England and need financial support to stay on at school you can get help from the 16-19 bursary fund. If you’re in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland you can get Education Maintenance Allowance.

pencil notebook and textbook

Some extra money can make all that studying a bit more bearable

The 16-19 Bursary Fund

A new bursary scheme has been set up to help full-time students in England who are struggling to stay in education for financial reasons. Read on to see if you’re eligible and where to find a 16 to 19 bursary fund application form.

What’s the new 16-19 bursary?

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund is money set aside by the Government to help the most vulnerable students continue at school or college (not university) or on an unpaid training course. It can help with costs like equipment for your courses, travel and lunch. It replaces the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), which was scrapped in England from September 2012.

Students in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can still get EMA.

Who is eligible for the bursary?

You’re automatically eligible for up to a £1200 grant if you fit one or more of these criteria:

If you are 19 or older, these types of bursary might still be available, for example if you are continuing on a course you started aged 16 to 18 (known as being a “19+ continuer”) or have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

What if I don’t fit this description but still need money?

There’s also a discretionary bursary– schools and colleges can decide which students have the most need for financial help to continue in their studies. Ask your student support services for more information.

How much is the 16-19 Bursary Fund?

If you fit the criteria, you’ll get a guaranteed payment of up to £1200 a year – that’s over £400 more than you would have received through the EMA. In exceptional circumstances, you can get more if the provider believes this necessary to enable you to continue in education or training.

If you’re applying for money from the discretionary fund, individual schools and colleges decide how much they give out. You could get a lump sum at the beginning of term to help you get started, a weekly allowance to help with travel costs, or money to cover essential equipment needed to complete the course.

How to claim the 16-19 Bursary Fund

If you’re looking for a 16 to 19 bursary fund application form, the only way to apply is through your school, academy, college, or training provider. Your form tutor or student support services should show you what to do.

If you’re applying because you’re a care leaver or on benefits, you’ll have to provide proof that you’re eligible – for example a benefits award letter, or written confirmation of your current or previous care arrangements. You’ll get your bursary payments from your school, academy, college or training provider.

If you’re applying for money from the discretionary fund, you might be asked to provide some evidence of your financial situation. As the bursaries are there to help young people facing the most significant financial barriers to studying, any evidence that supports your claim will help.

Go to to find out more

What is EMA?

EMA is a means-tested weekly payment for students aged 16-19 who stay on at school or college after their GCSEs. It is available in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not in England. If you’re 19 or over and live in Wales you may be eligible for a Welsh Government Learning Grant FE.

Unlike Child Benefit, which is paid to parents, EMA is paid directly into your own bank account, so you can spend it on exactly what you want.

How much is Education Maintenance Allowance?

EMA pays £30 a week. If you live in Northern Ireland, there are also two £100 bonuses per year that you might be able to get.

Who is eligible for EMA?

You have to be aged 16-19 (in Wales 19 year-olds can only get EMA if they haven’t already received two years of EMA) and have left – or are about to leave – compulsory education. The rules about household income are slightly different depending on what country you live in:

  • In Scotland, you need to have a household income of under £24,421, or £26,884 if there are two or more children in the house who are under 16, or under 25 and in full-time education or training
  • In Wales, you need to have a household income of under £20,817, or £23,077 if there are two or more children in the house who are under 16, or under 25 and in full-time education or training
  • In Northern Ireland, you need to have a household income of under £20,500, or £22,500 if there are two or more children in the house who are 16 or under, or under 20 and in full-time education or training
  • In general, you must also be a UK national, have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, or have refugee status

How do I claim?

Ask student services at your school or college about EMA. You’ll need to open a bank account, as the details will be required with your application form. You can get an application form from your teacher, or download an application from or Student Finance Wales (in Scotland you need to get one from your school or college).

For more information on money and benefits:

Next Steps

  • Use the Turn2Us calculator to work out what benefits and grants you're entitled to, or call their helpline on 0808 802 2000
  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.

By Holly Turner

Updated on 01-Aug-2021

Photo of pencil and paper by volunteer photographer Rianna Hudson