Can I get Jobseeker’s Allowance and do an NVQ?

Can I do a NVQ for healthcare while I'm on JSA? If not how can I get my NVQ? I have all the experience in the sector but nothing on paper, and cannot apply for the higher jobs in the profession without this.

It’s great to hear you want to progress in healthcare and getting a NVQ will help with that. If you intend to study full time you may not be able to claim Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) as you would need to be considered available for work, but if you are struggling financially you might be able to get other help. has a really good area of their site that goes into the details of all the types of funding/benefits available to students.

You could contact EGAS (Educational Grants Advisory Service), who provide comprehensive advice and information on sources of funding available for post-16 education and training including loans, grants, benefits, access funds, hardship funds, bursaries and charitable trusts.

EGAS operates a telephone advice line on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and their contact number is 020 7241 7459.

You could also contact The National Careers Service, the national learning advice line. They have advisors you can speak to and they can provide information and signposting on any funding options which may be available to you. They can be reached on 0800 100 900. Crucially, they can advise you on the application process for the NVQ you wish to take.

Next Steps

  • Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
  • Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.