What is CBD oil?
Our guide to CBD oil
When you hear CBD, you might automatically think of marijuana, but health food and online shops haven’t just started selling weed; CBD oil is actually a completely different product.
CBD oil has become a bit of a craze over the past few years and you may have heard people talk about it – but what is it, and what can it be used for?
We’ve broken down the facts for you so you can decide whether it’s something you want to try.
Where does CBD oil come from?
CBD oil comes from the hemp plant, which is a cannabis plant that has less than 0.3% of THC (the psychoactive substance that makes you high). To produce marijuana, cannabis plants are bred to have high levels of THC, however hemp plants haven’t been moderated, so they can be used to produce CBD oil.
How is it different from marijuana?
CBD oil is not psychoactive and doesn’t produce the same high that THC does. You won’t notice a significant change in your state of mind, although it has been reported to reduce anxiety.
What can it be used for?
CBD oil has been reported to have benefits for both physical and mental health. Here are some of the things taking CBD oil may help with:
- Reducing anxiety
- Improving sleep patterns
- Soothing chronic pain and inflammation
- Improving skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
- Maintaining memory in the early stages of Alzheimer’s
- Fighting cancer
- Reducing symptoms of epilepsy such as seizures
- Protecting against the development of type 1 diabetes
How do I take it?
There are a number of ways to take CBD oil and a range of products are available, including creams, capsules, oils, tinctures and sweets. You can also smoke it using a vape pen and buy oral sprays.
Does CBD oil actually work?
There aren’t many studies on the medicinal and health benefits of CBD oil, so there isn’t much scientific evidence that the product works, however many people claim that it has had a huge impact on their mental and physical health.
How much should I take?
You can’t overdose on CBD oil, and the amount recommended to take is different depending on the concentration of the oil. Most products will give a recommendation on the packaging.
Is it legal?
Yes, CBD oil is legal in the UK as long as it contains less than 0.2% THC. Cannabis oil is not legal in the UK because of its THC content.
What are the side effects?
Common side effects reported by users include tiredness, tummy problems such as diarrhoea and changes in weight or appetite. However, no significant side effects on the central nervous system have been found so far.
Is CBD oil safe?
Many of small-scale studies that have been done have concluded that CBD oil is safe – but you should still consult your doctor before you decide if you want to take it or not.
When purchasing CBD products, you should be aware of the following:
- Companies should show third party tests on their website
- You should avoid purchasing from eBay or Amazon
- Check that the company has trusted reviews
- Products should contain less than 0.2% THC
- Companies should not make medical claims about CBD
- Check that the company you’re buying it from is a CTA members (Cannabis Trades Association)
Will I get high if I take it?
Nope! It’s known to have significant effects on the body, such as the health benefits mentioned, but you won’t feel like you’ve just smoked a spliff. Find out more about the effects of marijuana here.
Some interesting facts about CBD oil:
- Queen Victoria used to take it for her menstrual cramps!
- It’s known to help with addiction because it can block the addictive effects of other drugs.
- Some vets are using CBD oil to treat things like arthritis and stress in animals.
- CBD oil is used in some beauty products, like shampoo and face cream.
For more information about CBD oil, visit the YourHemp blog.
Updated on 13-Dec-2019
Self harm is an addictive way to cope with mental pain #NoNormal
Sian talks frankly about self harm, using social media ...
A guide to caring for someone with a mental health condition
It can be really challenging caring for someone who has ...
I was made for more than chasing thinness
How you look is the least important thing; ...
Feeling bored? Here are 10 fun things you can do at home
Bored at home? Here are 10 fun things you can do to ...
Not all self-harm ‘looks’ like self-harm
Self-harm can encompass a range of things that people ...