Victim support

If you've been a victim of crime, you're entitled to know what your rights are and what support is available. You may have heard of victim support, but what do victim support do? Read on to find out what the charity does, and what you can do if you need someone to talk to.

A young person is sitting at a bus stop.

How can I get help if I was abused as a child?

What should you do if you are a victim of crime?

Report the crime to the police. In some cases the police will come to the scene of the crime, but if the crime is not serious and the offender has left the scene, officers may take details from you over the telephone instead.

The officers taking the details will give you a crime reference number, which you may need for any insurance claims, and tell you how to find out about the progress of your case. They will also tell you if someone is arrested and charged in connection with your case. If you move house or have any updates or further details on your case, keep the police informed.

If you have been a victim of:

  • Rape: visit Rape Crisis, which includes an online rape victim support chat if you don’t want to talk on the phone.
  • Domestic violence: visit Women’s Aid.

Remember the team at The Mix are also here to listen to you, either on the phone or by text. Contact us here.

The Victims’ Code of Practice

If you have been a victim of crime, the victims’ code of practice  sets out the standards of service that you or your family can expect from the criminal justice agencies. It also explains how you can complain if the standards are not met.

You can expect:

  • A crime you have reported to be investigated and to receive information about what happens.
  • The chance to explain how the crime has affected you, and your interests to be taken into account.
  • If you have to go to court as a witness, to be treated with respect and sensitivity.
  • To be offered emotional and practical support.

Where can I get victim support?

The police will ask for your consent to pass your details on to Victim Support. Victim Support is an independent charity which helps people cope with the effects of crime. 

What do victim support do

Victim Support provides free and confidential support and information to help you deal with your experience, including:

  • Someone to talk to.
  • Information on police and court procedure.
  • Liaison with other organisations on your behalf.
  • Information on compensation and insurance matters.
  • Contact with other sources of help.

Victim Support can also arrange for a volunteer to accompany you to the police station and to court.

Do I have a right to know when the criminal has been released?

If you have been the victim of a sexual or violent offence, you can ring the National Offender Management Service Victim Helpline on 0300 060 6699 to find out the due date for the prisoner’s release, or if you have received unwanted contact from a prisoner call 0845 7585 112.

Read more about recovering from being a victim of a crime.

Criminal injuries compensation

If you have been assaulted or your property has been stolen or damaged you may be entitled to claim compensation from criminal injuries. If you think you might qualify, take a note of:

  • Any expenses you have had as a result of the offence, for example, medical charges or the cost of repairing or replacing your property.
  • Any loss of earnings you may have suffered.
  • Any income you may have received as a result of the offence, for example Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance.

Police welfare checks

Sometimes police carry out welfare checks on people who have been victims of crime. This is separate to victim support and is more to do with your personal safety and wellbeing. Learn more about what to expect from a police welfare check.

Next Steps

By Ally Thomas

Updated on 30-Mar-2023