Khat has been popular in Africa and the Middle East for centuries, but what are the effects and the risks of chewing it?
What is khat?
Khat is a leafy green shrub with naturally occurring stimulant properties. It often chewed in parts of East Africa and the Middle East, but use has begun to spread into Europe.
In the UK, khat is occasionally imported in twig-like bunches for sale in some greengrocers and specialist health food shops. The leaves have a withered appearance and lose much of their potency just a few days after being picked.
What are the effects of chewing khat?
- It increases alertness, confidence and concentration. Khat also makes users more talkative.
- It takes the edge off appetite.
- Although khat is a stimulant, users can achieve a state of calm following a few hours of chewing.
What are the risks of chewing khat?
- Regular use has been linked to increased anxiety and insomnia.
- Some think that khat use can leave people feeling irritable and prone to aggression.
- A psychological dependency can develop when the drug is used on a regular basis.
- Long term use is associated with increased incidence of oral cancer.
The law and khat:
In the UK, the khat plant is not classified as a controlled substance under the Misuse of Drugs Act, so no penalties apply for use or trade.
This is changing however, and khat will soon be reclassified a Class C drug and made illegal.
Other terms for khat include:
Quat, qat, qaadka, chat, miraa
If you are planning on taking khat:
- Remember it tends to discolour teeth.
- Saliva is stimulated by chewing khat, which means users feel the need to spit a lot during use.
- Avoid mixing with other drugs during or after a khat chewing session, as the combined effects can be unpredictable and even dangerous.
Photo of Khat leaves by Alan on Flickr
Updated on 29-Sep-2015
What is CBD oil?
What is CBD oil and what can it be used for? Read our ...
Only smoke when drunk? Or with mates? That still makes ...
Supporting a friend with solvent and drug addiction
Is it possible to stay friends with a drug addict?
I was a teenage drug dealer
Lee started dealing drugs as a teenager... and now he's ...
Too wasted for sex?
Drunk sex can be messy, both emotionally and legally so ...