Mephedrone is not anything to be sniffed at. M-kat, as it’s more commonly known, was first marketed as a substitute for drugs like speed and ecstasy. As a stimulant it can mimic the effects of these drugs pretty accurately. The problem is, since it’s so new, there is a tonne of stuff we still don’t know about it. But for now,until the scientists find out more, we can tell you what we do know.
What is mkat?
Mephedrone 4-methylmethcathinone (try saying that four times fast) is a chemical drug that’s been described as having a similar effect to speed, coke and MDMA combined. It started life as a ‘legal high’ and was sold as bath salts until the Government banned it in 2010. It’s a stimulant drug and comes in powder or crystal form. Some people say the recreational drug smells like a cat’s litter tray – hence the name, meow meow drug.
How do you take mephedrone?
It’s usually snorted like cocaine, or wrapped in paper and swallowed. It rarely comes in pill/capsule form, or is injected.
Why do people take mephedrone (UK)?
There are a lot of reasons why people choose to take drugs. For meow meow the main one is the adrenaline rush, but a few others include:
- You feel amazing, in fact, you ARE AMAZING. Mephedrone gives you oodles of confidence and makes you feel utterly euphoric.
- You love everyone. The human race is a brilliant thing, and we should, like, all totally learn to understand each other.
- You can’t stop talking. If you can’t talk because you’re chunning so hard, you’ll text everyone to tell them you love them.
- You’re wide awake and you were in the dark. Just kidding, you’re actually all stimulated; you could dance and dance and dance if you wanted to without getting tired. And you’re likely to want to shag and shag and shag if you get the opportunity.
What are the bad side effects of mephedrone?
With the good comes the bad. Here’s a few things that might happen when you’re on mcat drug:
- It’s very moreish. Lots of users find they spunk their way through entire grams to try and keep the high alive.
- Your body temperature goes haywire – you may find yourself a hot, sweaty mess, or shivering like you’re in the middle of a blizzard.
- Your jaw muscles can tighten up and ache from all the chunning, and the rest of your muscles may twitch involuntarily.
- You can feel sick, paranoid and really scared.
- You can get a pretty hefty nosebleed if you snort it.
- It can give you a headache of doom, or make you vomit.
- Not many people tell you this, but it makes you need to do an almighty poo.
- Can’t sleep. Won’t sleep. Even though you really really want to after a while.
- It can over stimulate your nervous system, making you hallucinate, or even have a fit.
- You might feel chest pain because your heart is beating out of your chest. Your blood pressure also rockets.
How long do the effects last?
It takes between 15 to 45 minutes to start feeling the effects, and can take a little longer if you’ve eaten a big meal.
It lasts between two to three hours. During that time lots of users are actually tempted to take more to keep the euphoric high going.
It may take a further one to four hours to feel able to sleep.
Is mephedrone addictive?
Technically, mephedrone isn’t addictive as there aren’t huge withdrawal effects. That said, many users say they find it really hard to control how much they take once they’ve started.
Can you drink on mkat drug?
It’s not a good idea to mix alcohol and mephedrone. It can make the effects of the drug much stronger (and not in a good way). It can also make you feel more nauseous and lose your memory.
You shouldn’t take it on antidepressants either. If they contain MAOIs (check the piece of paper that comes with them), combining them with mkat is potentially fatal.
To find out more about mixing drugs, click here.
Can you overdose on mkat drug?
People have died after taking mephedrone, however there isn’t a huge amount of evidence that the drug directly caused their death. Even so, taking huge amounts isn’t a great idea. If you want to find out about drugs that you can overdose on, read this article.
How can I reduce the risks if I take mkat?
If you take it, you’re already increasing the risk of something bad happening. That said, here’s some ways to have as much control over the high as possible:
- Don’t share a bank note or straw with anyone if you’re snorting it. Mephedrone is harsh on your nose and can make your nostrils bleed. Sharing can put you at risk of catching viruses like hepatitis. To find out more about Hep, click here.
- All stimulants can put you at risk of overheating. Make sure you sip water regularly, and don’t get too sweaty and dehydrated.
- Don’t take mephedrone if you have any heart problems.
- If you’re up for a massive shag fest, make sure you’ve got plenty of condoms.
What happens if I get caught with mephedrone?
It’s a Class B drug, so the maximum sentence is five years in prison and a potentially unlimited fine for possession. For more information about what to do if you’re caught with drugs, see our article here.
- FRANK offers friendly, confidential advice on all things drugs-related. Call now on 0300 123 6600
- Release offers free and confidential advice on everything to do with drugs and drugs law. 0845 4500 215
- Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards.
- Need help but confused where to go locally? Download our StepFinder iPhone app to find local support services quickly.
By Nishika Melwani
Updated on 14-Sep-2021
No featured article